Our Fruit Soda Bread mix is probably what you first think of when you hear Soda Bread. Slightly sweet and laden with raisins, this delicious bread that can be whipped together in a couple of minutes. It can even be made into mini loaves or scones. This is the St Patrick’s day bread you grew up on. Our bread mixes are made in small batches in Boston by our Irish chef so you can be guaranteed an authentic taste in your own kitchen, every time.
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Jug
- Sheet pan or if desired, 9”X5” Loaf tin or 8” round cake pan
- Cooling Rack
- 1 Pack Sásta Fruit Soda Bread Mix
- 1 egg – This can be omitted.
- 400ml/ 1 ¾ Cups milk or water (you may not need all of this.)
If you feel like making this bread a bit more special, try adding some of these ingredients:
- Add a sprinkling of sugar to the top of the loaf, just before you put it in the over.
- Sprinkle some caraway seeds on top of the loaf, just before baking
- Add a cup of chocolate chips to the dry mix and add an egg to the liquid for a rich chocolate chip loaf.
- Or try out some ideas of your own and share them with us!
- Preheat your oven to 400° Grease the loaf tin/cake pan with a little oil or butter to prevent the bread from sticking.
- Measure out 450ml/ 1 ¾ Cups water/milk.
- Empty the bread mix into the bowl and whisk well to break up any lumps.
- Make a well in the center, break in the egg and add approx. 1 ½ cups of water/milk.
- Either with your hands or a spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix gently.
- If the mix seems a little dry, add in a little more water. The mix should be spongy but hold together.
- Turn the bread onto your work surface and shape into a round approx. 3-4” deep. Place on a lightly floured baking sheet. Try not to handle it too much as this can make it dense, you want to just bring it into a round shape that holds together.
- Cut the centre of loaf into a cross to ensure an even bake. If you wish, you can use bake in a loaf tin or round pan. Just shape the dough into the baking tin and level it out as pictured above.
- Bake for 30-40 mins or until the loaf is golden on top and sounds hollow when tapped.
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
All Purpose Flour, Raisins, Buttermilk Powder, Sugar, Raising Agent (Sodium Bicarbonate) Salt.
Contains: Wheat, Gluten, Milk Powder.
Weight: 660g/ 23.28oz / 1lb 7.2oz