Our farmhouse-style brown soda bread mix is inspired by the wholesome, nutty flavor of the traditional brown wheat bread of Ireland. If you have ever tasted a slice of soda bread slathered in butter, with a warming bowl of soup or topped with delicious cheese and chutney, you will understand the simple pleasure it can bring. Our bread mixes are made in small batches in Boston by our Irish chef so you can be guaranteed an authentic taste in your own kitchen, every time.
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Jug
- 9”X5” Loaf tin or 8” round cake pan, either will work in this recipe
- Cooling Rack
- 1 Pack Sásta Irish Farmhouse-Style Soda Bread Mix
- 450ml/ 1 ¾ Cups milk or water, either is great but milk will give you a slightly richer loaf (you may not need all this liquid).
- 1 egg
If you feel like making this bread a bit more special, try adding some of these ingredients:
- 1 tbsp honey or molasses in
- Sprinkling of rolled oats on top of loaf
- Sprinkle of seeds such as poppy seeds sunflower seeds
- Or try out some ideas of your own and share them with us!
- Preheat your oven to 400°F/200°C. Grease the loaf tin/cake pan with a little oil or butter to prevent the bread from sticking.
- Measure out 450ml/ 1 ¾ Cups water/milk.
- Empty the bread mix into the bowl and whisk well to break up any lumps.
- Make a well in the center, break in the egg and add approx. 400ml/ 1 ½ cups of water/milk.
- Either with your hands or a spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix gently.
- If the mix seems a little dry, add in a little more water. The mix should look like lumpy oatmeal!
- Scrape the mixture into your chosen bread tin and level out the top. Sprinkle some oats or seeds on the top if you wish. If you bake in a round pan, cut the centre of loaf into a cross to ensure an even bake.
- Bake for 30-40 mins, until the loaf is a golden brown on top and comes out of the tin easily. Return to the oven without the tin for 5 mins, to crisp up the crust. Remove your loaf from the oven, cool on a cooling rack and enjoy!
Package Ingredients: Coarse Wholemeal Flour, All Purpose Flour, Buttermilk Powder, Sugar, Raising Agent (Sodium Bicarbonate), Salt.
Contains: Wheat, Gluten, Milk Powder.
Weight: 560g/ 19.75oz/ 1lb 3.7oz